The Lord is awe-inspiring, fearsome, fascinating, intriguing, and majestic in his radiant splendor: breathtaking! Here is what I saw of him today and what came to my heart and mind in Svyd 11:17b,
“Who was I to think that I could oppose God?”
Peter made this statement to the Jewish believers when he explained his actions in visiting the house of Cornelius the centurion, a Gentile. In making this statement he placed those questioning him in the very difficult position of having to stand in opposition to God if they were to condemn Peter’s actions. Not a position many of us would want to place ourselves in.
Yet, as I consider my own life, I am sure there could be any number of things that are not consistent with what God wants. Am I in opposition with God relative to this or that in my life? Sobering to consider for sure.
As I think of these things, the motivation I feel for not wanting to find myself in opposition with God lies in the very nature of God himself. Our God is a transcendent being, sovereign over all in creation. The magnificence of his glory resides in the perfection of his multi-splendored qualities.
He defines what love is and has communicated it to us through sending his Son to die a horrible death to pay for our sins. He is the perfect example of mercy, kindness and grace. He is also a God to be revered and feared. Holy and righteous, with divine justice, he decides what is right, just and fair. He will determine the ultimate end of all of creation. Our eternal destination and happiness lies with him. He gave us life and will determine what our future will be. All this with just a word from his mouth.
As I think of such things, do I ever want to find myself in opposition to him?
Peter made this statement to the Jewish believers when he explained his actions in visiting the house of Cornelius the centurion, a Gentile. In making this statement he placed those questioning him in the very difficult position of having to stand in opposition to God if they were to condemn Peter’s actions. Not a position many of us would want to place ourselves in.
Yet, as I consider my own life, I am sure there could be any number of things that are not consistent with what God wants. Am I in opposition with God relative to this or that in my life? Sobering to consider for sure.
As I think of these things, the motivation I feel for not wanting to find myself in opposition with God lies in the very nature of God himself. Our God is a transcendent being, sovereign over all in creation. The magnificence of his glory resides in the perfection of his multi-splendored qualities.
He defines what love is and has communicated it to us through sending his Son to die a horrible death to pay for our sins. He is the perfect example of mercy, kindness and grace. He is also a God to be revered and feared. Holy and righteous, with divine justice, he decides what is right, just and fair. He will determine the ultimate end of all of creation. Our eternal destination and happiness lies with him. He gave us life and will determine what our future will be. All this with just a word from his mouth.
As I think of such things, do I ever want to find myself in opposition to him?
Anything of the Lord capture your heart from Scripture today? Share what moved you about him from your Bible reading today. I'd love to hear from you!
If you have someone you would like to receive these ruminations, send me their email address. I'm happy to add them to the list. If you are receiving this and would like to be removed from the list, just reply and let me know.
If you have someone you would like to receive these ruminations, send me their email address. I'm happy to add them to the list. If you are receiving this and would like to be removed from the list, just reply and let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment